Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Mexico may receive a compensation package that includes:
- Private Medical and Life insurance;
- U.S. and Mexican holidays (20 per year approximately);
- 12 days of vacation per year starting out. Increases progressively.
- Affiliation to IMSS, AFORE and INFONAVIT;
- Opportunities to travel abroad for training, and more.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
FURTHER, THE FOLLOWING APPLY TO LOCALLY EMPLOYED STAFF ONLY:
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory or an MBC score of less than 100 points on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current employees who have less than 1 year in their current position are not eligible to apply.
FURTHER, THE FOLLOWING APPLY TO EFMs, USEFMs, and AEFMs ONLY:
- Current employees who used a hiring preference to gain employment who are within their first 90 calendar days of employment are not eligible to apply. This does not apply when the hiring mechanism is TEMP or the work schedule is intermittent or irregular.
- Candidates with a hiring preference who have already accepted a conditional offer of employment may NOT be extended a second conditional offer of employment unless and until they withdraw their candidacy for the first position in writing.