The Cultural Affairs Assistant for Alumni & Youth Audiences is responsible for promoting greater contact and cooperation among former participants of U.S. Government (USG)-sponsored exchange programs throughout Germany. The goal is to increase involvement of alumni and related Public Affairs (PA) contacts – particularly among youth – in areas where they can promote USG goals.
S/he accomplishes this by:
- organizing events for countrywide alumni audiences with the Consulates, German-American Institute network, established alumni networks (such as Fulbright and Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange), as well as directly for the Berlin alumni audience;
- preparing and disseminating news and information of general interest to alumni and other contacts;
- managing multiple (both long- and short-term) ongoing projects (e.g., development of alumni associations, conferences, events);
- promoting awareness of alumni accomplishments and professional development through contact work;
- speaking publicly on the importance of alumni programs to a wide range of audiences, from high-ranking politicians, economic leaders, and academics to next-in-line leaders, high school students, and members of underserved communities;
- maintaining the local alumni database, maintaining the State Department’s Alumni Archive, and the local contacts database.
- Advising senior Mission Public Affairs management on strategies for alumni outreach;
- traveling as necessary to support these activities in Germany, and meeting with alumni in business, education, NGOs, and government, and facilitating meetings for Embassy officers;
- cooperating with the Cultural Affairs Specialist for Youth Audiences, the ACAO for Exchanges, the Strategic Content Coordinator, and the exchanges section, developing a comprehensive strategic plan for alumni relations;
- Identifying new strategies for interacting with Germany’s tens of thousands of alumni to help further U.S. Mission Germany's goals;
- Formulating detailed proposals for Washington, including budgets, for new projects/initiatives.