EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two years (full-time equivalent) of progressively responsible experience in a media outlet, think tank, university, NGO, international organization, foreign embassy, government office, or corporation is required, with responsibility for public relations, public affairs, journalism, communications, marketing, managing public relations, outreach events, press conferences, and other media interactions as significant parts of the job.
Please address this factor in your ERA application under Main Duties & Responsibilities of your Work Experience.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Detailed knowledge of U.S. foreign policy objectives and American interests in Bulgaria, especially as they apply to press and media professionals, outlets, and online publications is required. Comprehensive understanding of Bulgarian press/media institutions and professional journalism standards and practices, as well as trends in audience preferences for information consumption (print, TV, radio, online), is required. Must have an understanding of communication trends in the region and internationally as they affect the Bulgarian information landscape and must be familiar with influence patterns in information flow. Knowledge of marketing techniques, market analysis, and audience analytics in Bulgaria.
Understanding of U.S. historical, political, economic, social, and cultural forces that shape U.S. foreign policy is required, as is understanding of U.S. press and media standards, norms and practices. Must have detailed knowledge of DOS PD engagement tools, and the policies and procedures for each.
This may be tested.
English - Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing is required
Bulgarian - Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing is required
Please address both requirements in your ERA application.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Analytic skills: Ability to identify and assess attitudes of press and media outlets and information consumers across a wide range of thematic policy areas is required. Must be able to identify opportunities to promote Mission objectives with key audience segments and identify creative approaches to address sensitive challenges. Must be able to perceive significant changes in Bulgarian influence landscape, and to adjust press/media operations and products to maximize balanced coverage for priority audiences.
- Communication/Interpersonal skills: Must have excellent customer relations, interpersonal, and cross-cultural communication skills. Must be able to identify influential voices in both traditional and digital information outlets, and engage them to positive effect. Must be able to communicate effectively in formal and informal situations on nuances of U.S. policy; must have excellent written and oral communication skills to speak publicly; write reports, press releases, and other products; engage in on-line fora; and contribute to publications in English and Bulgarian. Must be able to tailor communications to fit formal and informal situations. Must be able to brief U.S. officers and visitors on a variety of issues and interpret between English and Bulgarian for public programs.
- Management skills: Strong event and management skills are required. Must be able to organize and run events such as press conferences, interviews, workshops and journalism training seminars, often on short notice or in emergencies.
- Technical skills: Good keyboarding and data entry skills are required; excellent familiarity with electronic discovery tools, in particular the internet, and standard information retrieval practices and procedures is required. Thorough, detailed knowledge of various computer software programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, and databases, as well as PD-specific software, databases, and reporting tools is required. Knowledge of PD-specific funding authorities is required. Must be familiar with digital platforms, tools, and products. Must have good numerical skills to develop budget projections and statistics for press and media analytics.
- Availability: Must be available to travel throughout Bulgaria to support Mission press and media engagement activities.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.