Basic Function of the Position: The Incumbent is responsible for managing the unit’s files, expediting at the airport, preparing paperwork, and handling the import, export, customs clearance, diplomatic notes and exonerations of USG official property and American personnel personal property and vehicles, for State and other agencies at post (State, DOD, CDC, USAID, PEPFAR and PC).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
A) Expediting and customs clearance 70%
1. Serves as Embassy’s airport expeditor. Meets and greets all official USG travelers upon request and authorized by supervisor at Nsimalen International Airport and assists with importation of pets as needed. Coordinates with motor pool, travel and other sections for ground and air transportation, working with customs, airport, airline agents and other officials as needed. Acts as liaison between DOD and airport authorities for military aircraft clearances and ground services.
2. Assists in the preparation of all documents and helps to clear/pick up items arriving via the airport, DHL, SAGA and UPS.
3. Clears diplomatic pouches at airport; meets and assists diplomatic courier at the airport. Coordinates with Health Unit to clear perishable medical supplies on arrival at any point of entry.
B) Shipments 15%
1. Prepares and delivers to Foreign Ministry requests for exoneration from customs duties and taxes for importation of personal effects, official supplies, vehicles and local purchases requested by all USG agencies. Obtains information from cables, bills of lading and other shipping notices.
2. Coordinates employee pack-out with contractors, transporters and shipment logistics.
3. Keeps the Douala EBO office informed of status of exonerations and other documents required to process shipment through the port of Douala. Ensures required documents are forwarded to EBO office in a timely manner to effect expeditious release of USG cargo.
4. Processes all pack outs in ILMS and coordinate with ELSO.
C) Administrative Tasks 15%
1. Has primary responsibility for maintaining Shipping unit files, including GOVs and POVs.
2. Prepares diplomatic notes for transmittal of attestations for duty-free importation and for permission to sell property. Ensures procedures are followed correctly for diplomatic notes. Follows up with External Relations Ministry, Customs offices, Ministry of Finance, etc. to ensure paperwork is processed correctly and quickly.
3. Maintains Shipment section subject files, manage electronic files, logbooks and other records for customs clearances and diplomatic notes, so that information is available on shipments and pending requests.
4. Verifies invoices submitted by contractors, insurance and transportation companies, obtains necessary clarification or correction and recommends their approval or disapproval to the unit supervisor for processing. Registers and tracks all attestations and shipping documents sent to EBO from Yaounde.
5. Coordinates shipments in ILMS and related documents for military shipment, close out files in ILMS when necessary. Declares and clear incoming and outgoing shipments through the Customs SYDONIA system.
Serves as backup for the Shipping Assistants when they are on leave or absent.