Basic Function of Position
The Information Assistant (Social Media Coordinator) serves as the primary advisor to the Public Affairs Officer (PAO) on digital advocacy and outreach programs and technologies to achieve goals of the U.S. Mission to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). Under the direct supervision of the PAO, s/he provides oversight for the content and technical aspects of the Mission's internet presence that includes, but is not limited to: the Mission web site and related web pages; social media; mobile technologies; and audio and video technologies, including digital video conferences and webchats. The incumbent is responsible for proposing both long- and short-term strategic goals, and executing Mission electronic outreach programs as directed by the PAO. S/he coordinates closely with the Public Affairs Section (PAS) on Internet content, post programming on media freedom issues and supporting press information campaigns. S/he meets regularly with senior Mission staff to shape the Mission's digital presence, and is responsible for producing, editing, and uploading visual content such as photos and videos, as well as drafting and coordinating graphic and written content (including discussion threads on social networks). S/he monitors emerging technologies and advises the PAO on their relevance to the Mission, and is responsible for the evaluation, use and maintenance of photographic and digital editing equipment and online multimedia applications.
The incumbent also serves as post coordinator for the International Visitors Leadership Program (IVLP), liaising with regional posts, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), and participants. S/he suggests programmatic goals and coordinates the administration of the yearly IVLP. S/he serves as backup for other Public Affairs employees as necessary.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Mission website management: 30%
• Performs all relevant duties as webmaster for the Content Management System (CMS)-based Mission home page; oversees integrity of the overall web architecture, design and standards.
• Assembles and publishes essential information in support of Mission activities, VIP visits and PAS programs. Conducts live interviews as necessary to provide multimedia content for the web site. Independently coordinates with Mission sections on updating information available on the web site about their activities.
• Evaluates and selects multimedia content for inclusion on the web site based on MSRP and policy relevance and technical feasibility; performs technical adjustments for integration of multimedia content on the site.
• Implements policies for Mission's public web presence as approved by the PAO; advises PAO and recommends changes as appropriate.
• Integrates new technologies (such as state-of-the-art multimedia capabilities) into the web environment.
• Reports regularly to the PAO on the status of the Mission web site, making recommendations about improvements based on evaluation of audience usage of the site.
Outreach via new media: 25%
• Creates, manages and updates the Mission presence in various new media outlets, consults with and advises the PAO and other Mission offices on the most appropriate and effective applications at reaching audiences within and outside the OSCE, with a special focus on expanding our contact with audiences in Eurasia, the Caucasus, Central Asia and the OSCE Mediterranean Partner states.
• Plans, produces, formats, and places new media content as approved by PAO on an array of platforms, relevant to the target audience, PD goals and nature of the engagement.
• Monitors activity on Mission Facebook, Twitter, and other new media platforms, advising PAO of developments requiring action or response and ensures that appropriate response and content is posted and approved by PAO or designated Mission official. Assists with technical production of webchats, digital video conferences and other events involving multimedia content as approved by PAO.
• Actively participates in ongoing conversations within the Department about the appropriate use of new media technologies.
• Keeps informed of emerging technologies and changes in the demographic profiles of new media users in the OSCE space and advises the PAO on the impact of new media-related items in the Mission's media strategy. Advises PAS and Mission colleagues on ways to integrate outreach and advocacy via new media into their work activities.
Public affairs program coordination: 20%
• In coordination with the PAS team, designs and executes public affairs programs and web content advocating USG positions on digital media freedom.
•As directed by the PAO, designs and executes public affairs programs and activities, including the Ambassador's events, exhibits, speaker programs, digital video conferences, web chats, and representational events.
Video and photographic production: 15%
Civil Society Outreach: 10%