A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working at the journey-level in the installation, repair, and maintenance of commercial building electrical systems including power generation and distribution systems, grounding, and digital building controls and automated systems. Work experience must show a progression of increased responsibility, and the ability to repair complex equipment, components, and systems.
This should include a minimum of 2 years work experience operating and maintaining 3 phase electrical equipment with ampere ratings of 1600 Amps or higher. Must have a career path that demonstrates increased levels of responsibility working on complex equipment, control circuits, and building automation systems.
JOB KNOWLEDGE required for the position:
- In electrical theory, ohms law, how to size electrical equipment including generators, transformers, motor starters, feeder and branch circuit wiring, circuit breakers and other electrical equipment/components, and how to use the various test instruments to analyze and repair electrical problems.
- How to diagnose the root cause of an electrical problem and what materials and equipment will be needed to facilitate repairs.
- How to work safely on electrical components including the use of lock-out / tag-out safety measure.
- Have detailed technical knowledge of electrical control systems and how control systems interface with other operating systems.
- Be equipment specific with all makes and models of the installed electrical systems, power generation and distribution equipment, switchgear, and mechanical equipment.
- Have a very good technical understanding of major building electrical/mechanical systems and equipment with a specialty in controls.
- Of International Building Code standards including electrical and mechanical requirements, and fire and life safety codes is required.
- Education Requirements:
Completion of secondary school is required. Successful completion of specialized vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level electricians and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required. A portion of the training must be in Electrical Controls and Automated Systems Technology.
This may be tested:
English - Good Working Knowledge in Reading/Speaking/Writing is required to be able to translate local technical information, contract documents, and correspondences from the local language into English for the Supervising Building Engineer and the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager.
Bulgarian - Good Working Knowledge in Reading/Speaking/Writing is required to be able to communicate with local contractors and other Local Staff.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: The incumbent must
- Be able to read and interpret mechanical drawings, riser diagrams, wiring schematics, various equipment schedules, and other construction documents;
- Have skills and abilities in the following areas: testing electrical components and taking equipment readings with various meters, hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools to determine the root cause of a problem, and the appropriate repairs;
- Must be able to use tools of the trade in order to install, troubleshoot, and repair building electrical controls, automated systems, and all associated components and devices;
- Able to work with emergency standby generator systems; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, color codes and odors in the operation of equipment in order to troubleshoot for repairs;
- Have substantial skill in comprehending engineering reports, specifications, and related materials in English;
- Be able to respond to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repair, work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, work on ladders at various heights, work in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors, to complete work assignments; to communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information;
- Be computer literate, able to use the Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point;
- Be able to draft reports and create spreadsheets, to write e-mails and research information on the Internet;
- Have a valid driver’s license is required, at minimum 5 years old;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills;
- Be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks;
- Be organized.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.